On a personal note...

For those that want to see what's up with me and who are not all that enamored with Peak Oil.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

"There are no answers, only choices."

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Paleo Experiment - Day 3




It was very difficult to wake up this morning. It almost felt like cold and flu fatigue and then I remembered that I have not been eating much in the way of carbs. That is not part of the methodology in the Paleolithic diet, mind you, I just have not been selecting many starchy foods when I shop.

On that theme, in a nutshell, these are the dietary guidelines I am following.


Do eat:

  • Meat (and fat, fish, eggs)
  • Vegetables (and berries)
  • Fruit (and nuts)
  • Dairy (milk, cheese, butter, etc) (*)


Do not eat:

  • Dairy (milk, cheese, butter, etc) (*)
  • Grains or corn (maize, wheat, barley, rice, etc.)
  • Starchy vegetables (potatoes, yams, jerusalem artichokes, etc.)
  • Sugar (refined)
  • Legumes (beans, soy products, peanuts, cashew, lentils, etc.)
  • Chemical food additives


Go easy on:

  • Salt (can cause overeating and hypertension and dull the senses)
  • Processing of foods (nut flours/butters, pork rind flour, etc.) Eat simple foods instead
  • Artificial sweeteners (don't dull your senses, and they cause insulin responses simply by being sweet on the tastebuds)


This list was taken from this the PaleoDiet webpage, which goes into much more detail. I am sure I will be revisiting this information as the weeks progress. The above list allows dairy conditionally, but I am going to eliminate it entirely. Dairy products seem too much a part of the Agricultural era, when our hunter-gatherer ways began to go awry.

I got ready anyway and walked to the beach again this time taking the southern Martin Luther King drive stopping by Java Beach Café where friend and fellow nursing student Stacy works. In spite of the fact that I have been using factor 30 protection on my exposed skin surfaces, I am getting nice and red about the face and arms. The color contrast between my face and pasty white chest is quite humorous. So I decided to lay out in the sun a bit, seeing as it was a warm, windless day and there were miles of beach calling me. Afterwards, I walked back home. So there it is – my first round trip to the beach and back - 10.5 miles today.

By the way, the fish I bought came out pretty good. All I did was steam them. After ten minutes, I pulled them out and poked around. It turns out that the skin comes off very easily allowing one to tease the meat out using a fork. I did saute some onions as a side dish - simple and nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home