On a personal note...

For those that want to see what's up with me and who are not all that enamored with Peak Oil.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

"There are no answers, only choices."

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Paleo Experiment - Day 6 and 7

Yesterday I hiked north to the Golden Gate Bridge. This time, with the help of Google Maps, I plotted a route that took me through the northeastern tip of Golden Gate Park and then due North through the Presidio golf course and into San Francisco National Cemetery. From this little portion of the Bay Area Ridge Trail, I came to the cemetery rather dramatically as it appeared suddenly over the crest of a hill. At the same time, a piece of somber cello music by David Darling called “Children” (click for free mp3 download), was coming up on my mp3 player. The timing for such a piece could not have been more perfect. I had to stop and take note of some of the forgotten that had gone before me.



Who were these people? What were their hopes, their dreams? Whom did they love? Some had such short lives. There was an area dedicated to nurses who served in WW I. Who were you my brave sistren? I have never found the thought of death something to be avoided. In fact, it is something to contemplate often. It is hard to explain, but seeing all these thousands of stones and knowing that I will find myself in such a place (if I am not eaten by wolves), is somehow reassuring.

I managed to find my way to the southern visitors center of the G.G. Bridge all on back roads and trails. One goal this summer is to hike all the way over the bridge into Sausalito, which will be a 19 mile round trip.

Today I stayed in. It was a rainy day in the City and I had many ADL’s (nursespeak for ‘activities of daily living’) to attend to. Below is what I had for dinner. I have yet to figure out how Paleolithic people cooked. Many meats can be eaten raw. Eskimo eat raw fermented fish all the time. For now, I am sautéing lightly in my stone aged Teflon pan. The red meat was cooked a total of 20 seconds, rather tar-tar. The salmon I caught by hand in the stream out behind the building. Seasoning for the fish: wild dill, from the banks of the stream behind the building. Apricot for garnish. (P.S. the only stream behind the building is from the parking lot rain runoff).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home