On a personal note...

For those that want to see what's up with me and who are not all that enamored with Peak Oil.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

"There are no answers, only choices."

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Keeping the numbers low

I paid my doctor a visit this past week. She is apprised of my experimentation, and is supportive so long as my blood pressure and cholesterol do not go too far out of wack. I was once a victim of high cholesterol and high blood pressure but am no longer. It is probably more accurate to say I was a victim of myself and my dietary habits which naturally gravitate to average American fare.

As recently as last year, I had a total cholesterol level of 280! (200 is considered to be borderline). I was obviously shocked, so before I let my doctor write me a prescription for something like Lipitor, I tried some natural remedies. Oat bran, flax seed oil and soy products like tofu all have LDL (bad cholesterol) lowering effects while at the same time promoting HDL cholesterol, which has a protective effect. I also reduced my consumption of red meat and tried Red Yeast Rice, which I was reading about on the net as an herbal remedy for reducing cholesterol. I got another blood test in two months and the results were nothing short of astounding: total cholesterol 180! My LDL had come down 100 points and HDL had gone up – exactly what you would want to happen.

So, to what single item do I attribute this? I do not know. It would be a good bet that it was the combination of all those dietary changes. My exercise level is generally moderate to non-existant when I am busy at school, unlike now in which it is more elevated.

That was all back last August. The results from the most recent visit show that I am holding steady at the good levels, in spite of slipping on the discipline and eating red meat as per this Paleolithic plan. One more experiment then. In order to determine how much of an effect the Red Yeast Rice is having, for the next four to five weeks or so, before school starts and the Paleolithic experiment ends, I am going to drop the red yeast rice. I will follow up with one more blood test and we shall see.

The walking is going well. Due to 21st century life stuff, and staying abreast of the White House shenanigans, I skipped a few days. I made one trip to the archery range with my new archery equipment. Yes, Paleolithic man must keep hunting skills sharp. Ung!

Today I took a crazy little route from Glen Canyon Park up over Twin Peaks and Sutro hill and then wound my way down the hill into the sunset. Here is map of the route courtesy of Google Earth, not to be confused with Google maps. I could write a blog just about this new Google venture but I will not, and simply say that if you download it and begin playing with it, you will be calling in sick the next day just to play with it some more.

Here's some thumbnails of the walk today; click for the large version.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Giulia White and i would like to show you my personal experience with Lipitor.

I have taken for 9 years. I am 60 years old. I took 20 mg for 9 years and I told numerous physicians about my pain and stiffness and was told that I had arthritis and to keep taking it. I left it at home by accident when we went on vacation and within 3 days, the pain in my legs began to go away. After 2 weeks I knew it was a very dangerous medication. I went to my new physician and he wanted me to try Pravachol. Afer 4 days on it, I was in a fog and thought I had the flu. I have been off it for just 36 hours and feel better. I am an RN and should have known that I was experiencing side effects with Lipitor, but you listen to your Doctor because you trust him. I now tell my patients to trust what their bodies are telling them. Statins can't be good for anyone but the drug companies!!!!!!!!!! They keep lowering the recommended levels so that almost everyone is considered to have "high" cholesterol. If someone is 30 and on this for 30 or 40 years there is not telling what the long term effects will be.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Joint and Muscle Pain / Stiffness.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Giulia White

Lipitor Prescription Information

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home