On a personal note...

For those that want to see what's up with me and who are not all that enamored with Peak Oil.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

"There are no answers, only choices."

Monday, July 04, 2005

Sausalito (and day 25)


The Golden Gate Bridge today...


Paramount Pictures)

...and 370 years from now, after being destroyed by the Breen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

That wasn’t so bad - 18.2 miles today. As usual, I went over the Golden Gate Bridge, but I wanted to climb down to Fort Baker, where I took the above shot; that added two miles to the trip. Just as I arrived on the edge of Sausalito, a parade was starting, which slowed my pace measurably (how annoying). I made my way around the parade by way of the Marina and arrived at the goal for today, Café Trieste, home of the world’s most expensive double espresso ($2.50!), and we are talkin’ a very short double. I had to buy it anyway as I used to frequent the San Francisco Café Trieste every day when I lived in North Beach. It’s tradition.

I am noticing that the things I thought of as milestones to be proud of, like making it to the north end of the bridge, or walking to the beach and back, now seem a bit ho-hum. People ask me how far I have been walking and when I tell them, they are a little surprised or think I have lost my mind. However, walking tens of miles is less about physical exertion and more about how much time you have on your hands.

Climbing through the holiday crowds on the bridge was a little annoying. I try to remember what it was like the first time I stood under those huge spans. The bridge really is a marvel, especially when you consider that it was built during the Great Depression. Instead of endure the crowds at the gift center, I climbed down to Fort Point and walked over to the beach at Crissy field where I stretched out on the sand for a while –very nice.

The diet portion of this Paleolithic experiment is going well. It is simple and I never feel deprived. What’s more, my body is changing. Today, for instance, my pants were tending to slide down a bit. When I went to cinch up the belt, I realized that I was on the last hole.

Here’s a funny picture my old college roommate found of me, circa 1985. Nice glasses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home